Saturday, 3 December 2016

The Darling Dahlia Square

I have so missed my blog but unfortunately, duty calls in the form of intense renovations on our little rental cottage which sadly was rather badly abused by a previous tenant! Bah and humbug! Lots of my time has been spent ripping out carpets, sanding and varnishing wood floors ( they look GORGEOUS! ) and re-painting walls! But in my mind, all sorts of flowery, lacy , vintage ideas have been floating around.


I absolutely adore Dahlias and I’ve been wanting to design a pretty vintage style square using a Dahlia design. I think if I looked hard enough I might have found a pattern but I gave up the search and set about with my own design. I’m totally unoriginal in my love for flowery, lacy, vintage crochet! So here is yet another flowery, lacy, vintage design.
There are dozens of different Dahlias, some single-layer petaled, others  multiple layered like gorgeous ball gowns or tutus! I settled for a single-layer Dahlia and went about creating a richly textured Dahlia motif...then added a lot of other bits! In fact, I went so far as to design a really large  afghan square but that’s another story altogether!



This dainty, beautiful little square looks adorable in vibrant or muted colourways and the border is extremely easy to attach to its mates using a simple lacy join-as-you-go method. The square also works up quickly once you get past the first one.
Recommended for a baby blanket, or for the very patient and ambitious, a lovely Vintage-look bedspread ! In my mind's eye, I see a cottage window  curtain!
Btw, did I mention there is a teeny village in South Africa called Darling! I’ve been there for tea and scones a few times as it’s a short drive from Cape Town. There were Dahlias in the garden, in a riot of exquisite colours!

And here you have it, another FREE PATTERN!

Wherever you are in the world I hope you are having plenty of hooky time!
Take care and love, always,



8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much! I've been eagerly awaiting each new square--they're gorgeous! And the larger version is stunning; can't wait to see it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! Yes, I have written out the pattern for the large square now just to find the time to create a PDF for it! :D X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your designs are so beautiful, I love them all. Did you ever make a pdf of this larger one ? xx

      Delete
  3. Oh, fabulous!!! I'm thinking of making scarves with the smaller ones; so pretty and feminine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I think it will work well for a scarf! I'd love to see it if you do go ahead. :D If you have any problems with the pattern please don't hesitate to ask for clarification. :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the extended version. Your work is incredible. Looking forward to the pattern. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, and thank you very much for the lovely compliment. :D xx

      Delete
    2. Oh Jen... this is so beautiful. I've just gone through you squares, and they are all stunning. I can't wait to make them, thank you for sharing! Hope

      Delete